All I Want
Elimination diets are the worst. Literally, the worst. Well, I guess the worst would be becoming severely ill from something I ate … but you know what I mean. I crave everything that I can’t eat. Wondering what I miss the most? Don't worry, I've made you a list:
- Spaghetti w/marinara sauce (allergen: tomato) — Full disclosure, I’m weird with colors and textures when it comes to my food. So, no, alfredo sauce is not going to work. Spaghetti is by far my all-time favorite meal, and I’m going on month three without it.
- Pizza (allergen: tomato) — I tried white pizza. Never again. When I eat pizza, I want calorie-loaded, tomatoey pizza … preferably Chicago’s own Lou Malnati’s pepperoni deep-dish pizza with the butter crust.
- Lemon (allergen: citrus) — I miss lemon in my tea. Lemon pound cake. Lemon curd on my scones. Lemon-flavored candy. Sigh.
- Margaritas (allergen: lime) — Does this even need an explanation?
- Wine (allergen: citrus) — It is way too complicated to figure out which wines in the grocery store have citrus and the ones that do not. I even called high-end wine retailers for advice. It seems my only options are bottles priced $65+ each and only sold by the case.
- Chips & salsa (allergen: tomato) — Most people say, “Try guacamole.” I have and for the last time, I don’t like guac. It looks weird. And, again, textures are important to me.
- E.L. Fudge Chocolate Wafer Cookies (allergen: possibly peanuts) — The packaging says “May contain peanuts.” I need decisiveness, not maybes.
- Lettuce (allergen: lettuce) — I’m not the type who wants a salad everyday, but every once in awhile would be nice. And have you tried tacos without lettuce … or tomatoes? It’s pretty sad.
- Fried rice (allergen: MSG) — Granted, we should all limit our MSG intake, but no fried rice? Really?
- Chili (allergen: tomato) — As the weather becomes more crisp, I’m sure this will rise to the top of my list. Nothing says “Hello fall season” like a nice bowl of chili.
Four more weeks to go. Prayers welcomed.